Two days until Turkey and I feel like I’m finally getting excited about it! Between the papers, the readings, the studying and all of the other school work that I’ve been smothered in, I didn’t have time to properly get psyched.
Now I’m getting psyched.
Two days. Two short days until take-off! Now that I’m finally putting some real thought into it, I looked over Time Out’s Top 20 list of things to do and see in Istanbul and it’s packed! We’re clearly not going to have time to explore everything on the list in three short days, but it has definitely helped me construct a little list of my own.
My top things to do and see whilst in Turkey:
1. Hit up the Grand Bazaar: How much more Turkish can you get than the Grand Bazaar? Haggling for random trinkets and snagging unique gifts are possibly my two favorite things.
2. Kick it Asian-style: Take a ferry to the Asian side of Istanbul just to say that I’ve been to Asia (plus to see the cultural differences). Maybe for a dinner date.
3. Enjoy some authentic hookah: I’m not a smoker, but hookah is one of my favorite things to indulge in on a relaxing vacay. Apple is my most favorite, but I’m down to explore some Turkish specialties!
4. Check out the mosques: You can’t go to Istanbul and not see the amazing (and plentiful) mosques! We’re right across the street from the Blue Mosque (can literally see it from our hotel window). I’m so excited to see it up close!
5. Check out the Egyptian Spice Bazaar: Since I’ve seen pictures of this place, I’ve been dying to see it!
6. Enjoy Turkish cuisine: By Turkish cuisine, I mean eat as much hummus and babaganoush as humanly possible and snag some Turkish Delight to bring home for my post-Lent dessert indulgence. Mmmmm!
A girlfriend of mine already sent me a list of must-sees from her trip to Istanbul! Does anyone else have any recommendations for places that are unforgettable?