It’s a bit insane to me that we’re already saying goodbye to 2011. I’m currently in Tahoe preparing to ring in the new year; a perfect place to relax and think about the last twelve months. 2011 has certainly had some interesting ups and downs but mostly it’s been a year of incredible ups. I get made fun of from time to time for maintaining this blog long after my academic work and international travels have come to an end (at least within a formal setting) but at times like this I find that this forum serves its ultimate purpose: I’ve been able to chronicle some amazing experiences on the regular and can revisit those times whenever I’m feeling a bit nostalgic.
Some of my great memories and travels from this past year?
1. Visiting the East Coast for the first time ever and getting to catch up with my DC and NY-based LSE loves.
2. Spending countless weekends in Tahoe with Boat Shoes, family and friends playing in the snow and soaking up the sun.
3. Heading to San Diego for my gorgeous cousin’s wedding!
5. My first Vegas experience: an extended weekend at the Palazzo and my first Jimmy Buffett concert… quite the experience!
6. My first trip to the South spending SMU’s homecoming weekend with Boat Shoes and meeting some of his amazing college friends.
7. Moving to San Francisco! Though I had grappled with staying on the West Coast or venturing out to the East Coast to begin a career in DC, San Francisco has been such a great fit thus far and I’m excited to see what’s in store for 2012.
Looking back, 2011 was truly an incredible year for traveling, for family and for relationships. With all of the amazing things that have taken place this year, I can honestly say that meeting Boat Shoe Boy (rather serendipitously) earlier this year was a game changer for me.
Life is just infinitely better and experiences are so much richer with an awesome partner in crime. Being able to bring someone else into my family and being able to be a part of his has definitely changed my life for the better. I’m definitely looking forward to an awesome 2012! I’m not sure where the world is going to take us this year, but I’m ready.
Hope everyone has an amazing and safe New Year!
Cheers to 2012!